Philip Skelton, a scholar and prolific writer on religious matters, was born near Lisburn Co. Antrim in February 1707. He studied in Trinity, graduating BA in 1728. In 1729 he became a curate in of Drummilly, County Fermanagh, moving to a curacy in Monaghan in 1732 where he stayed until 1750, with a brief interlude in 1742-3 as tutor to James Caulfeild, later 1st Earl of Charlemont. Between 1750 and 1759 he was Church of Ireland Minister in Pettigo, later obtaining the living of Devenish, County Fermanagh (allowing him to live in Enniskillen) from 1759 to 1766, finally moving to Fintona (or Donacavey) County Tyrone. He retired to Dublin in 1780, dying on 4th May 1787, and buried near the west door of St. Peter’s Church.
So far, so orthodox, apparently, but Philip Skelton was a memorable man. Read More